Welcome to the Republic of Macedonia

A look into my life and the culture of Skopje

Monday, June 7, 2010

Mother Theresa!

This past week was spent doing a multitude of activities! Checking into the Embassy and becoming a secret squirrel again, learning the inner workings of the Embassy itself, and discovering new and unique sites in Skopje itself. I personally did not know Mother Theresa was born in Skopje, but I am going to tell you the truth, she was. Now, I did learn this before I left for Macedonia, but I didn't know she is actually a moderately controversial figure among her own countrymen. Regardless, she has a beautiful gallery and chapel dedicated to her right in the heart of the city.
With-in the gallery, multiple artifacts can be found to include her sari, bible, and multiple awards. Other interesting pieces include pictures of her throughout her life, a replication of her bed chamber, and a rosary. The gallery itself is not large, but the information contained with-in gives a great look into who Mother Theresa was as a person, very enlightening.
I then also visited the chapel above the gallery. Modern architecture, windows designs, and a giant glass cross definitely drew you in, but also took away from the general feeling the gallery put you into. Now it is just my opinion, but I don't believe one of the most humble and giving women in modern history would have enjoyed such a display. Again, just my opinion! I will be posting pictures soon, at that time I would love feed back as to what everyone else thinks.
Finally a note: It has taken a bit but settling has finally come to fruition, with that I hope to make much more regular in depth blog entries. So please keep checking in and leave comments. One of the best ways for me to realize even my own experiences and the significance of them is to answer questions.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to read your first posting. I look forward to pictures and further updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i took look forward to pictures. where are they?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete